June 24, 2023
Zilisch Qualifies 2nd After Being Fastest in Practice,
Newcomer Carson Kvapil Practiced 2nd and Qualified 3rd
LEXINGTON, Ohio (June 24, 2023) – Practice and qualifying are complete for the Trans Am Series presented by Pirelli’s Big Machine Vodka SPIKED Coolers TA2 Series at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Rafa Matos in the No. 88 3-Dimensional Services Group Ford Mustang will lead the field to green for tomorrow’s 3-Dimensional Services Group Classic, race three of the 3-Dimensional Services Group Triple Track Tournament. Matos laid down a lap time of 1:24.399 to earn his second Motul Pole Award of 2023.
“We didn’t have a lot of track time this weekend because of the rain yesterday, so this morning was really our first session of the weekend,” said Matos. “This was a much-needed pole position for myself and the team after losing two cars in the Detroit Grand Prix from crashing pretty bad in the second race. The team gave everything building a new car for [team owner] Doug [Peterson]. We have to remember this team has managed to put a driver on the podium every single race this season except the second race in Detroit, and [teammate] Austin [Green] had a great shot of finishing on the podium there before he got caught in a wreck. Hats off to the 3-Dimensional Services Group team for giving me a car that I can be very competitive with in qualifying. Hopefully we’ll make the right adjustments overnight and win this race tomorrow.”
Qualifying Top Five:
1. Rafa Matos, No. 88 3-Dimensional Services Group Ford Mustang (1:24.399)
2. Connor Zilisch, No. 7 Silver Hare Racing Chevrolet Camaro (1:24.420)
3. Carson Kvapil, No. 8 SLR-M1 Race Cars Chevrolet Camaro (1:24.460)
4. Dillon Machavern, No. 17 SLR-M1 Race Cars Ford Mustang (1:24.475)
5. Thomas Merrill, No. 26 Bennett/HP Tuners/Mike Cope Race Cars Ford Mustang (1:24.657)
Full qualifying results can be found here.
Find & reserve investment properties in
Turkey or Dubai from the comfort of
Practice Top Five:
1. Connor Zilisch, No. 7 Silver Hare Racing Chevrolet Camaro (1:24.719)
2. Carson Kvapil, No. 8 SLR-M1 Race Cars Chevrolet Camaro (1:24.735)
3. Jade Buford, No. 48 Big Machine Vodka SPIKED Coolers Ford Mustang (1:25.150)
4. Thomas Merrill, No. 26 Bennett/HP Tuners/Mike Cope Race Cars Ford Mustang (1:25.174)
5. Will Rodgers, No. 90 Nitro Motorsports Ford Mustang (1:25.467)
Full practice results can be found here.
The race will be contested on Sunday, June 25 at 12:40 p.m. ET and can be streamed live here.
The TV broadcast of the Big Machine Vodka SPIKED Coolers TA2 Series race will air on MAVTV on Thursday, June 29 at 8:00 p.m. ET.